Sunday, July 26, 2009

Homemade Wheat Bread

I. love. bread.

LOVE IT.

a lot.

Some people are afraid to make bread because they think it sounds too hard. It's really not hard at all, it just takes some time. Nothing smells better or more home-y than a delicious batch of fresh bread right out of the oven. Mmm, mmm, mmm...

Wheat Bread
5 c hot water (115-120 degrees)
2 Tb Saf yeast
1/2 c honey
1 Tb liquid lecithin
1/3 c oil
2 Tb salt
1 tsp vitamin C powder
12 c whole wheat flour (more or less)

Mix together everything except flour. Add flour. Mix 10 minutes on medium speed until it starts going up the midddle. Don't add more flour after the first 2 minutes. Let dough rise until doubled. Smash it down and divide into 4-5 equal parts. Shape into loaves and let rise (in pans). Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Notes: Liquid lecithin and vitamin C powder can be found at health food stores. Measure the oil and then pour it into the measuring cup you'll use for the honey; then pour it into the mixer. That way your honey cup is oiled and you won't have to mess with trying to scrape the honey out. The feel of the dough matters more than exact measurements, so you may need more or less flour depending on the day. After you've made it a few times, you'll know what you like and what your dough should look and feel like. You don't need to knead the dough because the mixer did that for you.

Go make a batch and then feel free to give me a call and invite me over. I'll bring the honey-butter. Did I mention I love bread?

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try this one. I've been making some that is similar to Grandma's, but I can't get it to turn out as good. Oh man I am HUNGRY!! :)

    ReplyDelete