Saturday, July 25, 2009

Country Breakfast Pizza

I am a big fan of breakfast for dinner, and I especially love breakfast pizza, but I usually think the recipes I try are too dry and need some gravy. Then I found this version that has gravy included, and it's just right.

Country Breakfast Pizza
2 pkg crescent rolls (don't use generic brands unless you want it to be yucky)
1 lb bulk pork sausage
1/3 c chopped onion
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 envelope country gravy mix
6 eggs
2 Tb milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tb butter
1-1/4 c sliced fresh mushrooms
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 c pepper Jack cheese

Separate crescent dough into 16 triangles and place on a greased 14-inch round pizza pan with points toward the center. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of pan to form a crust; seal seams. Bake att 375 for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the sauage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Prepare gravy according to package directions. Stir into sauage mixture; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pper. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add egg mixture; cook and stir until almost set. Spread gravy mixture over curst. Top with egg mixture, mushrooms and cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into wedges.

Notes: It's easy to adjust this to your tastes - just add your favorite omelet toppings, breakfast meats, cheese, etc. I don't like mushrooms or green peppers, so I took those out. I would add tomatoes and hash browns and probably broccoli next time. I used a 2-cup gravy mix. 1-1/2 tubes of crescent rolls filled my pizza pan, so I used the other half tube to make a small pan. This would be a good way to personalize it for the one or two picky eaters (or the not picky eaters) in the group.

Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home Simple and Delicious, contributed by Julie T. of Nebraska.

No comments:

Post a Comment