Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pork Chop Spanish Rice

Last night we had a yummy dish that is one of my husband's favorites. In my rush to get it on the table and into tummies, I didn't take any pictures. I tried to see if I could dress up the leftovers today and take a decent picture, but the leftovers were devoured for lunch until there was almost nothing left. So the yummy-looking picture above was found here, and I have added that delicious-sounding recipe to my list of recipes to try. My dinner did include spanish rice with cheese on it, but it doesn't look exactly like that picture. We discovered this dish shortly after moving to Spanish Fork, and for some reason spanish rice and Spanish Fork always got mixed up in my head, so we ended up re-naming this dish Spanish Fork Chops. Whatever you decide to call it, it's delicious.

Spanish Fork Chops/Pork Chop Spanish Rice
4 pork chops
1 Tb oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 c rice
1/2 c chopped onions
1/2 c chopped red or green bell pepper
1 can (1 lb 4 oz) whole tomatoes
5 red or green bell pepper rings
1/2 c grated cheese

In a large Dutch oven, slowly brown chops in heated oil. Drain off excess oil. Sprinkle chops with salt, chili powder, and pepper. Add rice, onions and peppers. Pour in tomatoes with liquid, breaking tomaotes into pieces with a wooden spoon. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 35-40 minutes or until rice and meat are tender. Sprinkle with cheese and serve. It looks great if you have white and yellow cheeses (like cheddar and monterrey jack).

No comments:

Post a Comment