Saturday, August 29, 2009

Peasant Pasta



This recipe came from Rachael Ray "kid food" book. I'm always a little wary of supposed kid recipes made by people who don't actually have any kids and often wonder where they found kids who would touch their "kid-friendly" cuisine. I decided to give this one a try anyway, and it was surprisingly delicious. Honestly, it looks more like dog food than a delicious meal and it took the older kids raving about it to convince the younger kids to even try a bite, but when they finally tried it everyone loved it. We served it topped with Parmesan cheese with toasted french bread and a salad on the side.


Peasant Pasta
1 lb bulk Italian sweet sausage
1 can (28 oz) chunky-style crushed tomatoes
1/2 c frozen green peas
1/2 c heavy cream or half and half
1/2 lb penne rigate, cooked until al dente
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage and drain fat. Wipe out skillet and return to heat. Add cooked sausage crumbles back to pan and add tomatoes. Bring to a bubble and cook for 5 minutes. Add peas and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in cream, to blush the color of the sauce. Simmer until pasta is ready to drain. Toss two-thirds of the sauce with pasta and transfer to serving bowl. Top with remaining sauce and serve with grated cheese and crusty bread.

Honestly, the flavor is a little plain. The sausage makes it, but the tomatoes and cream aren't exactly bursting with flavor. Like I said, my kids loved it, but for me I might use hot sausage and add some more flavor to the sauce -- even your favorite spaghetti sauce would be a delicious alternative. So try it, play around with it, and it will be a dish your family loves.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this tonight. We liked it! Q & I more than the kids. I substituted a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes plus a 14 oz. can of tomato sauce for the big can of crushed tomatoes. I added garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano & basil. And I used mild sausage. It was good. I think we'll have it again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete